Composites Increase Corrosion Resistance in Shipping Containers
Composites have a growing number of applications to help improve corrosion resistance in infrastructure projects, aerospace products and others. One of the biggest industries where corrosion is a major problem is the marine shipping industry. Traditional all-metal shipping containers have corrosion issues in saltwater environments, and composite containers can provide a much greater level of corrosion resistance, as well as other benefits.
Corrosion Resistance is Greater with Composite Shipping Containers
Anyone who has ever seen a picture of a container ship and the thousands of shipping containers it carries can appreciate the benefits of composite shipping containers, which includes corrosion resistance.
The first metal shipping containers were the brainchild of Malcolm MacLean and entered service in the marine shipping industry in 1956. Even today, more than 60 years later, most shipping containers are still constructed of metal. However, metal containers are highly susceptible to saltwater corrosion, which can result in leaks and cargo spoilage.
On the other hand, composite shipping containers have naturally superior corrosion resistance due to the fact that composite materials do not rust. This lack of corrosion can lead to a lower number of cargo spoilage incidents in the shipping industry, and there are other benefits that composite containers offer. These benefits include:
- Reducing overall container weight by up to 42%
- Increasing vessel fuel efficiency and stability due to weight savings
- Being scannable by low-power x-rays
- The ability to incorporate theft and tampering sensors, status communication systems and GPS tracking technologies into the containers
- The fact that composite containers can be designed to be foldable, which reduces the space they use when empty
With all of these benefits in addition to corrosion resistance, composite shipping containers could be the wave of the future in the maritime shipping, rail and truck transport, and air freight industries.
Composites One Leads North America in Composite Material Supply Services
If your company designs and manufactures composite products with superior corrosion resistance, then you need a composite materials supply company that can get you everything you need to create your products. The team of customer-centered composite materials specialists at Composites One is just the sort of supply chain assistance that you are looking for.
Composites One has 41 convenient locations across the United States and Canada that can ship any of our more than 40,000 products to your business, which is why we are the largest supplier of composite materials in North America. To find out more information about the products we offer or how to order from us, contact the team at Composites One today.
- Composites One Presents Webinar | Make The Right Decision About Process Materials For Your Manufacturing Goals
- Composites One Presents Webinar | Efficiencies of Kitting and Plying for Processing Advanced Composite Materials
Have questions? Contact Us.