Advanced Aerospace Composites – The Four Elements
The study and manufacturing of advanced aerospace composites is continually evolving to keep up with the rapidly changing aerospace industry. Over the last 40 years, both military and commercial aerospace technology has become lighter, stronger and more efficient.
At Composites One, we maintain our reputation as the leading advanced aerospace composites distributor by bringing the latest materials used to develop advanced composites. We supply the strongest and most efficient composites on the market, built with the top four elements that are leading the way in advanced aerospace composites: prepreg, adhesives, epoxy and carbon.
The Role of Prepregs in Advanced Aerospace Composites
Prepregs are one of the leading materials used in advanced aerospace composites. Designed to withstand high temperatures and pressure, prepregs are a composite material that is impregnated with thermoset or thermoplastic resin. Typically, prepregs are set at high temperatures to fuse with the other composite materials like core materials, and then cooled to solidify the fusion. A second heating process typically includes the use of an autoclave or oven, which allows the prepreg to take form.
The Roles of Adhesives and Epoxy in Advanced Aerospace Composites
Adhesives play an important role in the overall construction of aerospace technologies. Built with similar properties as the materials they are bonding, adhesives add a layer of strength to the advanced aerospace composites they are used to construct. The two most common types of adhesives used in the aerospace industry include:
- Structural engineering adhesives – Includes epoxy, polyurethane and acrylic, and is designed to withstand increased stress and to improve durability
- Synthetic adhesives – A more cost-effective adhesive option that focuses on thermoplastics and thermosets
Epoxy resins are often used in adhesives and provide high mechanical durability and high temperature performance, two advantages that greatly benefit the aerospace industry.
The Role of Carbon in Advanced Aerospace Composites
Carbon and carbon fibers make up a large portion of the advanced aerospace composites industry. Built to be resistant to temperatures and chemicals, carbon fiber provides a great amount of strength and durability to aerospace technologies with its light weight and low level of thermal expansion.
Find out more about what makes the advanced aerospace composites material distributed by Composites One the best in the industry by filling out the form below and contacting one of our composites technicians. We can match you with the advanced composites specific to your needs. Contact us today.
- Solvay and Composites One Announce North-America Distribution Agreement for the Process Materials and Tooling Product Lines
- LIVE Demos Provide CAMX Attendees with Composites Knowledge – Demos, Takeaways and More from Composites One, the Closed Mold Alliance and Industry Partners
- HSE Bulletin Department of Health, Safety & Environment Compliance Reminder for Quarter Four of 2018
Have questions? Contact Us.