Discover how composites help protect those who protect us
Nations around the world field military and police forces to protect the population from those who seek to do harm. The very nature of this job dictates these civil servants must sometimes put themselves in harm’s way to protect others. They must have the best protective equipment to perform their job without having to pay the ultimate price.
The problem with protective equipment is it can be bulky and heavy. However, thanks to advancements in the field of composites, civil servants have access to better personal protection equipment.
The benefit of composites in protection equipment
In the 1970s, DuPont opened the door to composites in personal protective equipment with the invention of Kevlar. This composite material could provide similar protection to thick steel plates but without the weight and bulkiness.
Ever since then, innovations in the composites industry have led to protective equipment for military, law enforcement and other similar industries. There are many benefits to using composite materials in personal protective equipment, including:
- Less weight — The main problem with steel plates or ballistic nylon vests is that they are heavy and hot. Plus, ballistic nylon, which was used by Americans in the Vietnam War, couldn’t stop a direct rifle shot. Soldiers wore their vests open because the personal protective equipment was too hot and didn’t help them as much as they would’ve liked.
- More flexible and thin — People in law enforcement and the military need the freedom to maneuver without obstruction from their equipment. Using composites and fibers in personal protective equipment allows for thinner equipment that can move with you instead of against you.
- High strength — The fibers in composite personal protective equipment have high tensile strength and resistance to damage. They are able to protect the wearer from a direct shot while absorbing a large amount of energy to reduce any damage from a blunt impact as well.
Composites One is the leading composite materials distributor in North America
Composites play a large role in the performance of personal protective equipment. Beyond their use in ballistic vests, they’re also used in helmets, riot shields, knee and elbow pads, and more.
If your company produces composite personal protective equipment, you’ll want the best supply of composite materials. That’s why you should obtain your composites from Composites One.
We are the number one distributor of composites in the United States and Canada. We can get thousands of different composite materials to you quickly from one of our 41 distribution centers across North America. Contact us today for more information about composites in personal protective equipment.
- Composites One Presents Webinar | Make The Right Decision About Process Materials For Your Manufacturing Goals
- Composites One Presents Webinar | Efficiencies of Kitting and Plying for Processing Advanced Composite Materials
Have questions? Contact Us.